I've always wanted to lead a very simple and uneventful life but somehow, my life always manages to become 'interesting'. Last night, or rather, early this morning, drama struck again.
Went out with BFFs to celebrate Yi Ling's birthday and stayed at her void deck until 2+am. Her house was only a short distance away from ours and so we decided to walk home. The minute we separated, I had Ivy's number on the screen and my finger on the 'dial' button. I always had a friend's number on th ready as a precaution when I have to walk home alone late at night. Sometimes, no matter how late or dark, I won't feel a thing. However, last night, I felt really unsafe and insecure.
Then, I walked past this guy who decided to 'try his luck' and called out to me asking if I'm alone and such. I ignored him but the sense of insecurity increased and so, I decided to call Ivy and chatted with her while we both went about our separate ways. I find this tactic really useful as we will immediately know if something happened to the other party and provide help if needed. So, girls, do call up a friend and keep reporting your lcation to that friend until you got home. At the same time, do not be distracted by the call no matter how funny your friend is or how interesting the gossip is and always be aware of your surroundings. Should have been on the phone with Sindy because her house is nearer to mine but she was not really available as she had to rush home to settle some urgent matters.
Anyway, Ivy was already home safe and I was only one street away from my housing area when I happened to look across the road. What I saw raised alarms in my head and I went into high alert mode immediately. There was this guy wearing a blue jersey and blue baseball cap sitting at the void deck beside Yi Ling's block. I saw him again, across the road! Somehow, I didn't believe that it was just a coincidence that he was walking in the same direction as me. I described him to Ivy and she also remembered seeing him.
I decided to slow my steps so that he had no choice but to walk ahead of me. He then 'disappeared' into the blocks. Instead of taking the shortcut to my block, I walked the long way so that I would stay near the main road where there were vehicles passing by. When I reached a bus-stop, I just stayed there and looked toward where he had disappeared...... And I saw him again! He appeared to stay at a spot waiting for something. I asked Ivy to call my brother but he had switched off his handphone and was blissfully asleep.
At that point, I made up my mind to go to the neighbourhood police post. I took a cab there and all the while, I was on the phone with Ivy. The cab driver was quite funny. I told him I wanted to go to the police but he thought I stayed near the police post so he just drove past it and asked me where I want him to stop. He was quite surprised when I told him I wanted to go to the police.
Anyway, I entered the police post and told the sergeant on duty what happened. I asked if he could get someone to escort me home and he refused! WTH... He asked me to get my family member(s), preferably a male, to wait for me downstairs. So, I had no choice but to wake my mum AND dad. My mum hung up my first call as she thought it was her phone's alarm. =_='''
The cab driver who drove me home asked if I met a molester when he saw my parents waiting for me. I told him I found someone following me home and he told me that next time I took a cab home, I can actually ask the cab driver to escort me to the lift. Well, many thanks for that piece of advice. ^_^
End of story was, I got home safe and sound. Miraculously, my dad did not scold me for going home late and making him wake up in the middle of the night. Thank all my lucky stars that I managed to spot that guy who was following me.
Moral of the story is, no use going to the police if there's nothing 'big'. Think you can only go to them after you got raped and/or robbed. The police did not even take down my full name and NRIC number. He only had my mobile phone number and knows that I'm 'Miss Chen'. I was to inform him if I saw that guy again when I got home. The best thing was, he did not even give me the station's phone number so how am I suppose to call him if I did see that guy again? Call 999? But he did call me around 10mins after I left the station to make sure I got home safe and he did not look impatient when I went in to report my case.
Was really pissed with the whole thing... I think I really look like a victim, that's why I met so many shitty incidences. Actually, this was not the first time I was followed. The previous times, I was with Cerina so I always thought she was the one who 'attracted' those weirdos. Now then I realised that it was me all along. WTH...
This reminded me of another incident back in July 2003. It was after a friend's 21st birthday celebration. Again? Maybe I should stop going to birthday celebrations... Just kidding. :b It was only 10+pm, considered early by my standards. I was in the lift and the doors was closing when a fat guy suddenly rushed in. I was too shocked to react and the lift doors closed with us in it. There are mirrors in all four corners of the lift and my peripheral vision caught him touching himself (you know where) from the mirrors. He started to shift towards me and luckily, I was carrying a backpack so he couldn't really touched me. At that moment, the lift doors opened and I immediately ran out. The next day, I went to the police and the way they drilled me made me regret my decision to report it. They made me feel like I was making the whole story up and was just wasting their time! Thanks for making me feel like an idiot...
I guess I really look too much like an easy target even though I'm not as weak as I look. Really should have taken up martial arts or Karate when I was younger. Now, I'm too lazy to learn all those. Wonder if kick-boxing will work? Think I better go and look for self defense classes and memorise all the moves.
Now you all understand why I've always wanted a guy who is strong enough to protect me. Strength impresses me. Somehow I grew up lacking a sense of security. The strange thing is, I grew up with male cousins. I knew my dad, my brother, my uncles and cousins are more than capable to protect me. However, when they are not around, I feel unsafe. And not all my guy friends make me feel safe.
Last night, I felt quite sad when I realised that I can't just simply call a guy and ask him to send me home. Since you can only do that with a boyfriend, I've decided that I really need one as soon as possible. I know how desperate that sounds...
Anyway, my dear cutest cousin, if you saw this post, help me ask your mum if that guy is still available. I've finally come to my senses and made up my mind that I need all the help I can get. Haha...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment