I woke up a bit later than usual and so, we were in a rush to go out and did not do our annual family photo-taking in front of the decorated wall. What a waste... I didn't get to take a photo of me in my cheong-sam too.
Anyway, before we leave the house, my brother and I would 'bai nian' to my parents and get our first ang-pows of the year.
At first, my brother and I wanted to rent a car as my dad no longer has his company vehicle. However, we made our decision a bit too late and rental price was out of our budget so we thought of taking cabs around instead. Luckily, a few days before chinese new year, dear Aunt Choo called and offered us her extra car. So, we ended up driving a quite new Mazda-6 around on the eve and the first two days of chinese new year.
Thanks Aunt Choo! I love you and I know you love me too!
Almost everyone had reached the headquarters (paternal grandma's place at Tampines) and were waiting for us to go to the next stop. We had a quick breakfast that grandma prepared, the usual fried bee hoon and whatever fried food left over from the night before. There's also the standard red date longan tea my grandma made but I had no time to drink it. Luckily, I had a cup of it before I left my own house earlier.
After saying lots of 'happy new year' and getting ang-pows from my aunts, uncles and married cousins, we prepared to go to the next stop - my god grandparents' house at Bedok.
My god grandparents (my dad's godparents) are actually my dad's uncle and aunt (my grandfather's cousin). That's why the whole extended family goes along to visit them every year too.
When we arrived, the living-room was cramped with almost not enough seats for everyone. This happens every year. It's another round of 'happy new year' and ang-pow receiving. Usually, the visit will last around an hour before everyone goes off to the maternal side.
My maternal grandparents stay just a few blocks away from my god grandparents. In fact, all the grandparents know each other. Almost all of us used to stay in Bedok too, with Adeline's family in block 1, my grandma house on 4th floor of block 2, 5th uncle in the unit just beside her, my family at 7th floor of the same block and my godparents at block 3. It was so fun then...
We had lunch at my maternal grandparents house. As usual, we were the first family to reach. My dad left soon after lunch and went back to headquarters to report for mahjong duty. My brother and I stayed with my mum to wait for the rest of my aunts. This year is quite lucky for us as we managed to meet almost all family from my maternal side. They sometimes went to my grandparents house on another day.
At around 5pm, my brother, mum and I took a cab back to headquarters to report strength. We had dinner before going home at around 9pm.
And, that's how I spend the first day of chinese new year every year!
At headquarters, after dinner.
From left
On couch: cousin Jassica, cousin Eunice, Joanne (cousin Lawrence's girlfriend) holding baby Chloe and Juliana (cousin Ethan's heavily pregnant wife)
Standing: Rita (cousin Vincent's wife), ME and cousin Adeline.
No comments:
Post a Comment